passitonsports.ca

passitonsports.ca
Your Feel Good Sports Story

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Have you ever been "In the Zone"?

In the zone can mean different thing to different people. But when it comes to sports, for me it simply means playing your sport at a level above where you normally play.

I play basketball in a pickup league Monday nights, and although I am tired a lot of nights, and out of shape (compared to the younger guys in the league) there still is the odd time that I get into a "Zone". Most nights I could get a job as a brick layer...as I hit a lot of front iron...no strength in my legs. However, the odd night, something happens, there is no warning...and all of a sudden it is raining buckets out there. I love that feeling. It is one of the reasons I play.


How about the pros? They are already stars, the best in the game? Can they get in the zone? Let's stick with basketball for a minute. Remember when Kobe and the Lakers played the Raptors? I would say Kobe was in a zone. 81 points on this night...and he had one of his worst shooting nights of the month just before this game. On this night though....He was in the zone.             Have a look.

NHL - Ok, I am a Leaf fan. I am also old enough to have seen the Blue and White win Lord Stanley's Mug....so yes, I am going down this road. Phil Kessel. IN A ZONE - right now. How long does the zone last? You never know. Kessel leads the league in points (15 points) and leads the league in goals (9). I do realize that we have only played 8 games...but that is actually my point. Right now Phil Kessel is in the zone...and I for one am kind of enjoying it.




Sometimes you are in the zone for a very short time, sometimes you are there for the whole game, and then sometimes it feels like you are living in the zone. When you get to that stage it is something special. My "In The Zone Player of the Year" would have to go to professional golfer Luke Donald. Have a quick look at this.

PGA - Luke Donald just won the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic and with that he finished on top of the PGA Money list. He played 19 tournaments, won twice, was second twice and actually had 16 top 25's. Wow, that is impressive. He won $6,683,214. Not a bad year. I would say in the zone....but wait, I am not done. Are you ready for this.

European Tour - Luke Donald also finished first on the European Tour Money List as well. Are you hearing this?? - Can you comprehend that? On the European Tour Luke Donald won 3 tournaments and won a total of €3,856,394. That is crazy. He won two tours, on two different continents in the same year.


Luke Donald "In the Zone"

I would love to here your stories of being in the zone. If you have a story, go to www.passitonsports.ca and add your story. If you are too shy to tell me your story, tell me someone else's. I would love to hear them.

                 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment